Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

Accepting what is, without adding emotions

So on our last trip to St George, Ut. my husband and I had a great conversation about acceptance.

He told me that normally while driving he would look for the road signs or watch the GPS to see how much further he had to go. Each time he looked at them he would get feelings of anxiety or frustration as he realized HOW MUCH further he still had to go. This would then lead his mind off in a cascade of negativity. Ugh its so uncomfortable in the car, my legs hurt, im hungry, I wish we were there already…etc.

So he said this time, he made a conscious effort to look as the signs and think “OK 100 more miles”. Then he would just go back to listening to his book or music without letting it effect his emotion. The road sign is really only stating facts. So there are 100 more miles… and there is going to be 100 more miles whether you like it or not, whether you make yourself more miserable or not.

He also said it was important to not AVOID looking at the sign because that too would creative a negative feeling. Just Accept it for what it is, 100 more miles.

A lot of times when we are beginning new stages of our life or trying to make changes, we let ourselves get all worked up about where we are now.

Example: You are starting a weightloss program that requires you to list your weight and a “before” picture. Unconsciously you start to feel really bad about your current health which starts the cascade of negativity. I shouldn’t have let myself go like this, I look horrible, I can’t even control what I eat-how can I control other parts of my life, nobody is going to be attracted to THIS, why would anyone want to be with me anyways….etc. GET THE IDEA?
Your starting point IS WHAT IT IS…  A starting point. That’s it.
Now lets focus on how awesome we are for trying!
With Love,
Amanda
#acceptance #tipoftheday #itiswhatitis #startingpoint

No comments:

Post a Comment